Know the Facts
- Total estimated number of orphans worldwide: 153 million
- Estimated number that have lost only their mother: 34.5 million
- Estimated number that have lost only their father: 101 million
- Estimated number of “double orphans”: 17.8 million
(Source: U.S. Government “5th Annual Report to Congress on Public Law 109-95” and affirmed by UNICEF)
INTER-COUNTRY ADOPTION DATA
- Over the past decade, 179,719 children from around the world were welcomed into families in the U.S. through inter-country adoption.
- Top 5 Sending countries in 2010 were: China, Ethiopia, Russia, South Korea and Ukraine.
- Inter-country Adoption has decreased 59% from its high in 2004 due primarily to restrictions by sending countries.
DOMESTIC ADOPTION DATA
- In 2010, 52,891 American children were adopted domestically with public agency involvement. (Data on private adoptions is not yet available for 2010.)
- In 2007, there were 133,737 total domestic adoptions. Of these:
57,248 were adoptions by relatives, and 76,489 were by non-relatives.
42,978 were handled by public agencies and 20,254 by private agencies.
13,257 were handled by private individuals, usually attorneys.
- Infants comprised almost one-fourth (18,078) of unrelated domestic adoptions
Children with special needs comprised two-fifths (32,402) of unrelated domestic adoptions.
- The 76,489 unrelated domestic adoptions in 2007 represented the highest number recorded in recent decades—compared to 50,720 in 1982 and 55,706 in 1992.
FOSTER CARE FACTS
- Children in foster care in the U.S.: 408,425
- Children in foster care waiting to be adopted: 101,840
- Children entering foster care in 2013: 254,904
- Children exiting foster care in 2013: 238,280
- Average time in care within the foster system: 21.8 Months
- Children “aging out” of the foster system in 2012 in FY: 23,090
- Average age of a child waiting to be adopted: 7.7 years old
- Number of children in care whose parental rights were terminated in FY 2013: 58,887
- Approximate number of children adopted from foster care in FY 2013: 50,281
- Girls in Foster Care Pregnant by Age 19: 50%
- Former Foster Kids in U.S. Prison: 74%
- Incarcerated Within 2 Years of Age Out: 50%
- Former Foster Kids on Death Row: 80%
Know the Facts statistics provided by Christian Alliance for Orphans.